Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Little Red Dress

During Labor Day weekend, my dear sister will be getting married to the love of her life. Her wedding colors are a combination of both lovers' favorite colors- red and purple- plus accents of gold and white. The wedding party has been dictated to find a dress to their liking in a deep red or a deep purple. I, of course, made a beeline to red.

Lipstick red shirtdresses, cherry red shifts, deep red ball gowns. Obviously, red has been a very popular color throughout the ages. The vintage section of Etsy did not disappoint in my quest for the perfect dress. Of course, while there were tons of beautiful dresses in all shades of red and all types of styles, I focused on the shiny, the glam, and the dramatic of the bunch.

The name of this one caught my eye: 30's Starlet Gown. Immediately, I envisioned myself with a jeweled headband, holding a gin and tonic in a martini glass, swooning over dapper gentlemen. Thank goodness for savoybetty and her vintage gem.

I kept that one in mind and continued my search. Where I discovered this gorgeous, unique dress from anotherseason. I really need to take a minute and measure myself. I don't think I can let this one go, so don't you touch it until I figure out if I can fit into it!

I don't know how to describe why I love this dress so much. The contrast of deep, sensual red with the cool grey accents just make the whole thing pop. It features such romantic details like a deep v-neck and lovely pleated straps. This dress needs to be mine... now.


Of course, I'm not one to settle very quickly. When I walk into a shop, any shop, I must look at everything I can look at before deciding on a purchase. This is how I found myself spreading 86 pages worth of red vintage dresses for sale over two days. 

Late last night, I clicked on one of the most astounding dresses ever. Sadly, it doesn't fit the deep red color requirement, but it had to be hearted instantly. I was also chatting with my dear Nadia over Skype and sending her links to my finds. This one was sent followed by the description: "Julia Roberts circa Pretty Woman if she wore a hot little red dress!" Am I right or am I right?

You can find this body conscious cocktail dress complete with the "look at me" bright red color, rhinestone detail on the strap, and stunning back over at SpectacleVintage's shop.

Clicking back to the main search page, I found myself veering off my original goal and drooling over some awesome dresses that definitely deserved the time it took for me to look. Who knew the vintage shops on Etsy had such an amazing collection of red dresses!

This badass- excuse my French- strapless dress complete with a sweetheart neckline, fitted waist, and a flare skirt garnered a notable mention in my mind. It's everything I ever want in a dress and then some. This may be another dress you cannot touch until I check my measurements. Until then, admire this wonderful garment discovered by TheBoundlessSea.


Of course, there were so many more that I found and fell in love with. If only I had a bottomless bank account to give all these finds a home. If you want to see what else I found, check out our Favorites on our profile. You really can't miss all the stunning red gowns and dresses we "collected."

The search is still on. I have yet to tackle all the deep purple options available on our beloved Etsy. If any of you have suggestions or know someone selling gorgeous gowns, leave a comment! Until then, wish me luck! I just know I'll find the perfect dress soon.

Happy Vintaging,

Beatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment