Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Little Purple Dress

Well, the search is still on for that perfect Maid of Honor dress. I'd like to say thank you to my dear sister for allowing me to choose my own dress with only the requirement that it be dark red or dark purple. This has ensued in hours upon hours of lovely Etsy browsing, when, being practical, should've been better spent elsewhere (vintaging... making jewelry...) But who's one to say "no" to shopping? I mean, really?

The last time I wrote about my journey to discover that elusive dress, I focused on red dresses. However, when I took an excursion to the mall with my mother, I realized that red was not all that flattering on me. Purple was infinitely more complimentary with my skin tone. I must admit, this came as quite a surprise to my olive-skinned self and mother. I came home with a renewed vengeance to find.that.dress!

Of course, I just dove right in, no real rhyme or reason to my methods, and searched 84 pages worth of vintage purple dresses on Etsy. You think I'd be clever and type in "purple party dress" or "fancy purple dress" or even "dark purple dress" and save myself the time and trouble of sorting through the ones that do not apply, but that just sucks all the fun out of vintage shopping, doesn't it? 

And the very first dress I fell in love with and hearted did not even come close to fitting the criteria of a dark purple Maid of Honor dress. Did you really expect any less from me? Look at it though, it's adorable. It's flirty. It's fun. It's short. It's summery. It has cute flowers. And best of all, she donates some of the proceeds to the Save the Turtle fund! I found myself a fellow animal lover. That just makes it about a million times better. Seriously. LoveItShop, you're number one in my book now.

This time, I was much more efficient in my clicking and viewing tactic. Instead of leisurely clicking on anything that caught my eye, I made a point to aim for the dressier end of the Vintage Purple Dress spectrum. This, of course, led me to the most outrageous, incredibly stunning, jaw-dropping fancy dress ever. I am shocked that no one has bought this dress yet. 

Utilizing every glam, fancy trick in the fashion book, this dress has it all. A sweetheart neckline to show off your shoulders, a ballgown length, sequins, ruffles, tulle. It is the quintessential evening gown that will make you stand out and stage quite the entrance. I actually send this listing to my sister immediately, beseeching her to forgo the traditional white gown and to rock this dress! Swingkatsvintage, you are awesome for having this dress.

Alas, the wedding party cannot outshine the bride, so my search continued. Then, somehow, I ended up looking at a dress that wasn't even close to what I needed. The thumbnail for this listing called to me, it prodded (with invisible computer fingers) me to click and view. Boy, am I glad I took a look. A metallic silver color with a subtle purple sheen, a giant bow right on the butt, a plunging back, a plunging front (!) What an awesome dress. Plus, it's Paul and Joe! I'm not entirely sure who they are, but I'm assuming they are someone. You may berate me for my lack of knowledge in the comments below. I bet Nadia will probably berate me as well, being the fashion design maven she is. RegalVintage, this is regal indeed!

But wait, I have to search, I have to look even more. The 84 pages slowly being worked through. Purple dresses of all styles, lengths, shades are being hearted relentlessly because I just love them all. Again, like I mentioned in Part One of this Grand Dress Search, I wish I had a bottomless bank account to buy them all up!

This dress, though, deserves a special mention. As I spent my time searching through the vintage shops on Etsy, trying to find the right dress, I have developed a love for 80's strapless party dresses. They seem to always have every feature I look for in a pretty little dress: sweetheart neckline with no straps, mini length, fitted bodice, lovely little skirt- sometimes flared, sometimes not, but it always works. This one from vintageshowgirl is one such example with the sequin skirt and chiffon overlay, a removable ruffle piece, and gorgeous draped neckline. Oh, little 80's cocktail dress, be mine!

I've begun to mentally develop my new wardrobe, filled to the brim with only vintage clothes. Such gems hidden among these shops, such unique finds! I dare anyone to buy a vintage garment and not look absolutely amazing and unique in a crowd. Find an 80's party dress, throw a 50's cardigan over it, and slip on some 60's ballet flats. You're ready to roll! 

Have you ever browsed the vintage section of Etsy and found things you couldn't live without? Comment below! See more of my purple favorites and share yours.

Happy Vintaging!

Beatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment