Friday, August 20, 2010

Glamourpuss

I've always been a firm believer in the old adage that you can never be overdressed. Actually, is that an adage? I think I might have just made it up...regardless, it's an excellent rule to live by.

This can be easily misunderstood, of course; if you're helping paint your friend's apartment, for instance, it's perfectly appropriate to show up in your rattiest jeans and that T-shirt you got with your cookie when you donated blood. This get-up, however, is not appropriate when attending say, a job interview, or brunch with the girls, or even spending the day windowshopping. You never know who you might run into!

It's no surprise then, that as a little girl my favorite game to play was dress-up. My sisters hated playing Barbies with me because once I had gotten Malibu Barbie all dressed up for her hot date with Ken, and picked out the perfect pink pumps to wear with her brand new leopard-print cocktail dress, I would get bored and wander back to our costume chest. As a (reluctant) grown-up, I can't say I have any leopard cocktail dresses or pink pumps to speak of, but I still relish in the act of dressing up. There's very little I enjoy more than getting ready for an event...probably not even the event I'm dressing up for itself.

One of my favorite examples of this in recent fashion history is Penelope Cruz's gorgeous Pierre Balmain gown from 2009's Academy Awards. She got a little bit of slack for this dress because it bore a striking resemblance to a wedding dress, but for quite a few unjaded fashion critics, she was considered the best-dressed at the Oscars that night. She did look absolutely stunning, and it was clear she was ravishing every minute of her nomination (and win) that night.

But, in my opinion, the coolest thing about her gown? It was vintage Haute Couture - a 1950 Pierre Balmain original. Viva la Vintage!


Obviously I don't expect anyone to show up at their next dinner date in a white evening gown (unless your goal is to scare the crap out of the guy who asked you out...); my point is that, even more than a year after she wore it, people still talk about Penelope's presence that night.

It's a concept that translates easily into every day life - imagine the splash you'll make at your next job interview if you arrive in a chic cocktail dress like La Caravane Boème's own "Flora, 80s Laura Ashley Party Dress". Or, if you're really bold, this more daring option from MaeValente. You certainly won't be forgotten when everyone else shows up in predictable pantsuits.

My point is, vintagers, it's always worth it to be overdressed than underdressed! Be bold, be daring! Don't be afraid to wear those opera-length gloves, or that pearl necklace, even if it's just your average Tuesday. And, major bonus points if your fabulous glam finds are vintage, too!


La Caravane Boheme's own Sunday, 60s Ruched Gloves

Make a splash, lovelies! Keep vintaging!

-Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment