Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Embrace Your Womanliness

So we've been talking "style" a lot here on the Caravane. Earlier, Nadia created a treasury and posted a blog about her style; that delicious grunge jeans and floaty blouse combo that looks so effortless and gorgeous. Love it, Gypsy Gems and Rockstar Dreams, indeed.

I grew up believing with the pure and unadulterated power of a young soul that I was destined to be a great and sought-after fashion designer. My mother did nothing to quell this for me by, instead, fueling it through shopping trips every day and dressing me in outrageous outfits. At one point, I was going to school in ensembles like a crinkle fabric tiered miniskirt, clunky blue platforms with Pucci-like patterns, and a seersucker black tank top. It was about fashion and looking absolutely unique.

thevintagevoice Boots
And unique, I did look. By Junior High, I was known as the girl who made a point to dress herself. No roll-out-of-bed sweatpants and hoodies. I wore skirts and high-heeled boots and frilly shirts that clung to my body. I hated when whatever extracurricular group I was involved in mandated that we wear boxy Jersee t-shirts with our names across the front for the day and attempted to find out ways to turn them into sexy, tight little tops. My sewing machine and I were very well acquainted and I have scars from pin-pricks to prove it.

Eventually though, I started to simplify my outfits. I still wear skirts and high-heeled boots and shirts that cling to my body. The frilliness has all but disappeared though, and the outrageousness? It's slowly morphed into a more sophisticated silhouette. I consider it something like J. Crew on speed rather than Vivienne Westwood with her miles upon miles worth of ruffles. I also have let the fire of being a fashion designer fade into something much more satisfying for me: this vintage fashion shop and being a jewelry designer.

GreyandGrayCompany Skirt
My skirts are mini, but sweet and flirty. They're pleated or accentuated with a subtle bow. If I don't have any attention-grabbing detail on my skirts, you'll find it somewhere on my lace trimmed camisoles or my ruched tank tops. I do go dangerously short with the length, but here's the thing, at 5'2" on a good day, if they hit at a weird spot on my thigh, I look like a complete munchkin with stubby legs. I know Nadia begs to differ on this case, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

And of course, you can't have J. Crew without the cardigans. I swear, I believe cardigans were invented for that shop. However, the preppiness you find there all but disappears when I pair them with my watch-where-your-eyes-are-going tops and super-duper tight skinny jeans. (More about that below.) I throw these cardigans over practically anything; I have one in each black, brown, and grey. They go into my purse on hot days for those air-conditioned buildings I absolutely abhor. They go over my pretty little dresses. They're like the kosher salt of the fashion world. You have to have it on everything!

goodmorningmidnight Grey Cardigan

duende74 Skinny Jeans
Now, I may have made myself out to be some sort of tramp with said "watch-where-your-eyes-are-going tops and super-duper tight skinny jeans" but let me explain. I'm little, a petite person. Clothes that are blousey or have large details like giant bows across the front just makes me look like a little girl caught in her mother's closet. I go towards simple lines that serves to accent my body. My tops and dresses are fitted, they nip in at the waist and are usually low-cut. I love thin straps and more than that, no straps at all. My skinny jeans must be tight or else, the purpose of skinny jeans just goes out the window. In short, they are feminine and serve to embrace womanliness.

I am woman, hear me roar! So to say.

Best of all, because I make a point to choose neutrals like grey, brown, and black, I can wear anything with anything else in my closet. And thanks to my mother, who believes one should only buy the clothes one can wear anytime and for many years, I have boots I've worn since high school and a green trench coat I've had for almost seven years. No, I'm not sick of them, despite the fact my boots are truly showing signs of wear.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not all brown, grey, and black, (and silver because you will basically never find me sans giant round silver earrings and a simple silver necklace.) 

maggiebasile Silver Earrings
edor Silver Necklace

BetaAccessories Scarf
When I took a trip to Paris a couple years ago, I fell in love. Of course, who wouldn't? It's Pah-ree! I instantly told myself I needed to be French, and most of the work had already been done. I'm a lover of neutrals, much like almost every other Parisians. I wear simple clothing, again like the Parisians. But there was one thing I was missing from my wardrobe. That was the scarf. Alas, I couldn't be French unless I had a flimsy, gorgeous piece of fabric wrapped around my neck. I immediately bought my very first scarf at the nearest vendor: a large square black and red piece of Paris that I wrapped around my neck and strutted my stuff with. This lead me on a mission to find scarves wherever I went. I am now a proud owner of colorful confections that I wrap twice around my neck and let hang. It is the burst of color that I need on some days.

I went on to Etsy to compile a collection of gorgeous garments and accessories to help represent my style. It's a perfect mix of handmade and vintage. I didn't think that I would suddenly desire to buy each and every one of my choices. Oh dear. Perhaps you might find something to fall in love with. If that's true, you and I may have to duke it out. Just kidding. Enjoy!

What is your style? How do you define it? Who do you attribute your influences to? Comment below, we'd love to hear it!

Happy Vintaging!

Beatrice

Full link to Treasury: http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4c6c059ea7328eef0193544b/embrace-your-womanliness

Links to each item featured can be found by clicking on the captions under each picture as well as accessing the treasury. If you cannot get to the correct page, please contact us ASAP and we will provide you the full link.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, a great treasury! Thanks for including our black cardigan. Keep up the good work!

    ANDWHATELSEISTHERE

    SHOP

    ReplyDelete