Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Vintage Affair: Book to Love

So I was just browsing along the internet, seeing what the words "Vintage Clothes" would come up with in Google when I found this: a book.

A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff

Now I'm an avid, avid reader. I love books, I especially indulge in the "Chick Lit" section because I spend the whole day, everyday, thinking hard about things and I would like a story to read in which I do not need to contemplate too much and accidentally hurt my brain. This book, however, doesn't seem too "chick lit." It seems interesting, fun, and a complete must-read.

It's about a woman, Phoebe Swift, British and hot with a vintage shop in London, who is engaged to be married. Of course, in classic "Chick Lit" character, her engagement falls through. (Remember the rules of "Chick Lit" and romantic comedies? The man you see at the beginning will not be there in the end.) Here she turns to her burgeoning and beautiful vintage clothing shop and a dear proprietor named Mrs. Bell who shows Phoebe her true self. Come on now, vintage clothes and finding yourself? It's a classic!

So upon discovering it on Amazon.com, I immediately pulled myself up and forced myself to go to the library. I don't feel top-notch today and, in fact, took a three-hour-long nap this afternoon. So to make myself take what could possibly be an unnecessary trip to the library meant this was a big deal.

I have a great library here in the suburbs of Northeast Ohio. It's like a little gem in the rough and I have decided that if I must move, an acceptable library is important to have. My point is, I usually find whatever I need here, however obscure the book is (Four Plays by Eugene Ionesco sat there waiting for me to pluck it of the shelf.) Sadly, A Vintage Affair was not available. Oh, dear me! I was about to collapse on the floor in front of the computer, my head was pounding, I felt like I was going to throw up, and here I was, futilely searching for a book I discovered on the random.

Well, I can tell you I put it on hold. That book will be in my hands soon enough. Once it is, I'll read it hungrily and then relay to you every delicious, vintage detail.

If you happen to borrow, buy, or however get (steal, coerce out of your friend's hands, whatever it takes) this book, please do comment and tell me how fabulous it is! It can be like a miniature book club. Yippee! I just can't wait.

Happy Vintaging,

Beatrice

2 comments:

  1. i've read that book!!!! it is AMAZING. read it. you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait! I'm glad you liked it, I have high hopes. :)

    Beatrice

    ReplyDelete