Sunday, April 11, 2010

A beautiful spring day in New York

 Good morning, vintagers

Nadia here. In our field, we always have to be on the lookout for finding beauty in the unexpected. Yesterday I was walking down Fifth Ave with Central Park on my right and beautiful apartment buildings on my left. I was late for dinner with a friend, and thus I was rushing down Fifth trying to make a 15-block walk in five minutes (why not drive or take the train, you say? Please. This is New York. ;) )

Somewhere around 7 1/2 blocks into my mad dash, I noticed these flowers out of the corner of my eye and had to stop and take a closer look.

I know these flowers are destined to be confined to a stuffy apartment building lobby somewhere in midtown, but at this moment I caught them standing alone in the trailer of a moving truck, and I had to document it! Thank goodness for iPhones, right?

It's amazing how these flowers become the star of the show in this ugly, dirty moving truck. But when you place this gorgeous, pink explosion in its antique-looking vase in the middle of a dank, dirty, wood encasing suddenly the juxtaposition of the two creates a harmony that is simply breathtaking.

This dichotomy is really what's behind our love of vintage - vintagers can find something beautiful in what the rest of the world has written off as old or ugly. We're driven by the idea that hidden among dusty, dark corners of antique stores, we can find a shining gem. That's why we created La Caravane Boheme, to bring these forgotten pieces to you!

1 comment:

  1. I love the juxtaposition of the colorful and beautiful flowers in the dark and dingy truck. Great capture! BTW, thanks for visiting me. I am so pleased my photos inspired you.

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

    ReplyDelete